Do You Know What’s In Your Skin Care Products?
Decoding Skin Care Labels – What Ingredients Are You ACTUALLY Using?
In a perfect world, you wouldn’t have to think twice about what cosmetic makers are putting into your skin care routine. But, until we reach a point where everything is natural, organic, and chemical-free, there is a laundry list of ingredients you need to be on the lookout for.
What to avoid.. Toxins & Harmful Chemicals
First, here’s a quick overview of the ingredients you should avoid if you find them listed on the back of your products.
- Parabens: This is a common preservative, but it can lead to hormonal imbalance and heighten your risk for breast cancer.
- Hydroquinone: This is a popular ingredient that brightens your skin yet damages DNA and the UK, Australia, and Japan have already banned it for that reason.
- Fragrance: “Parfum” is the generic term for countless chemical ingredients. Unfortunately, chemicals don’t have to tell you what those chemicals are because a fragrance is considered proprietary. That means “fragrance” can disguised Pthalates and other harmful ingredients in the formula by categorizing them under the fragrance umbrella.
- Pthalates: Pthalates are concerning because they are often linked to reproductive disorders, allergies, endocrine disruption, and breast cancer. They are often used to create a scent.
- Mineral Oil: This only sounds natural. The World Health Organization actually considers it to be a carcinogen (cancer-causing agent).
What’s Good..Although They May Be Hard to Pronounce…
Not all hard to pronounce or scary-sounding ingredients should actually be taken at face value. Here are some good ones that often get a bad reputation:
- Microcitrus Australasica: Commonly known as Australian Caviar Lime Pearl. It’s an antioxidant fruit that improves skin exfoliation and brightens up your skin.
- Simmondsia Chinensis: This is actually just “jojoba oil” with a fancier name. This skin-friendly ingredient reduces inflammation, moisturizes your skin, and helps regulate your skin’s natural oil production and it does not clog your pores!
- Vederine: More commonly known as Chicory Root Extract which increases Vitamin D reception, speeding up recovery from UV damage.
- Ectoin: Is the ONLY proven anti-pollution ingredient that is clinically tested to protect your skin on a cellular level from blue light and pollution.
- Glycoin: Known as The Resurrection Plant, this fascinating plant thrives in the deserts of Africa and when rain arrives the plant miraculously re-greens within a few hours! Provides revitalization of aged cells and provides all day moisture with just 1 application.
Check your skin care products NOW! Check the ingredients label, look twice for the ingredients on the above warning list and think twice before putting down a product without researching the ingredients you don’t know about. Biolumière Organics provides a chemical, toxic and paraben fee anti-again solution.