10 Tips & DIYs For Glowing Summer Skin
Dive into dewy, golden summer skin with these helpful tips and DIY skincare recipes that will keep you feeling fresh and fine all summer long.
Summer Skincare Tips
1. Mix Up Your Moisturizers
Different weather and activities call for different skin needs and nourishment. You may not need the heavier winter moisturizers and can switch to a light weight, non-greasy formula that will lock in all-day moisture without clogging pores or creating excess oil. We recommend using one that contains SPF for daytime use.
2. Speaking of SPF - Stay Protected!
Incorporating sunscreen into your daily skincare routine this summer is important for maintaining a healthy glow without dipping into sunburn territory. Protecting your skin from harmful UV exposure defends you from wrinkles, fine lines, and premature aging as well. Make sure to use sunscreen for any exposed part of your skin during your time in the sunlight, including your hands, feet, neck, and face.
3. Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated does true wonders for your skin in the most natural of ways. We suggest keeping a water bottle with your wherever you go this summer. It not only keeps your skin hydrated, but also flushes out toxins from your entire body. Maintaining a healthy percentage of water in your skin is important to keeping your skin elastic and plump and preventing loss of moisture due to environmental factors. A lack of hydration can lead to dryness, leaving your skin more vulnerable to the effects of aging.
4. Gently Exfoliate
Exfoliating during summer months boosts your skins normal functions in keeping itself healthy. It helps buff off additional dead skin cells, leaving your skin feeling refreshed and looking radiant. We caution against over-exfoliating though, which can lead to dry skin and exacerbate pores. Check out our home-made DIY exfoliate recipe below!
5. Take Chilly Showers
It may seem like a challenge at first but you may find that you'll end up loving cool summer showers. Hot showers and baths during summer can lead to dehydrated and dry skin. While a cold shower keeps your pores from becoming clogged and helps prevent breakouts. Your whole body will feel refreshed.
6. Get Your Exercise
No couch-potatoing this summer! Hop on your treadmill, hit the gym, go for a hike - or just about anything that gets your blood flowing. Physical activity improves blood flow, which helps deliver more oxygen to your skin cells, keeps them vital and healthy. It also helps your body repair itself more quickly.
7. Blend Some Antioxidants Into Your Routine
Investing in antioxidant rich serums and moisturizers not only help protect your skin from environmental damage and boosts collagen development. Creams and serums loaded with natural extracts and antioxidants also reduce inflammation and neutralize harmful free radicals while repairing and replenishing your skin. Antioxidants help maintain that healthy natural glow that we love.
8. DIY Home-Made Exfoliant Recipe - Coffee Face Scrub
- 3 tbsp coffee grounds
- 1 tbsp natural oil of your choice: olive, grape seed, coconut, or almond
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Mix all dry ingredients, then add oil last. Based on the kind of scrub consistency you want, add more or less brown sugar. Massage onto your face in gentle, circular motions, then rinse with warm water.
9. DIY Home-Made Facial Recipe - Pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- You can purchase or make pumpkin puree yourself. If you choose to make it, simply cut away healthy sections of pumpkin skin and add them to a blender or food processor until it's a smooth, creamy puree.
- Mix the pumpkin puree, honey, and milk into a paste and apply it to a clean face. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes and rinse with warm water. The result: glowing smooth skin.
10. DIY Home-Made Face Mist
- 1 cucumber
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoon mint juice
- ½ cup rose water
- 1 cheesecloth
- Peel, and grate the cucumber and strain out the juices using the cheesecloth.
- Mix it with the rosewater, mint and lemon juice in a spray bottle and shake well. Use to spritz and refresh throughout the day. Make a new batch every few days.